Tuesday, March 17, 2009

March Madness


March Madness is finally upon us and it couldn't have come any sooner. This will finally give everyone in the country a distraction from the economic crisis, War in Iraq, and all other kinds of news that send chills racing down the spines of the $38,000-$55,000 a year worker (this is what I'd call average). Here we go. Will it be another no. 1 seed that will return back to their campus with a shiny new trophy, or will a no. 2,3,4, or 5 seed upset the tournament and raise a new flag in their gym despite the odds? This is what the College Basketball lover lives for. As "Bracketology" emerges as an unofficial major in schools these days, will people start picking more brackets correctly? I for one cannot wait for the 1st round to occur. I love that all the upsets, the tears, and the celebrations that happen as an underdog triumphs over the favored.
However, I have a problem with the seedings of some of the teams. My first one is why in the world is Illinois seeded 5th? There can be no possible explanation why they are there. They will lose to Western Kentucky and people will call that an upset which is wrong because Illinois and Western are about the same caliber team. In addition, due to Duke's schizophrenia on the court, I believe that they should switch seeds with Villanova. I know it's not a big difference, but I think that it needs to be done. In addition, I have another switch that needs to be made between Marquette and Purdue. Once again, I know it's not big, but it needs to be done to stay more true to the talent of the teams.
I hope that this year is as much fun as previous years and I hope that there are a lot of early upsets.

No comments: