Friday, September 26, 2008

The Attack From Another Planet!!!!!

A 22 year old man applies for a job, which he is fully qualified for, in Chicago. The application is filled out and the receptionist is very pleased. Then the man is called into the manager's room for his interview. The interview goes perfect. In the end, he doesn't get the job. Why? Because they gave the job to a mostly qualified 22 year old man who graduated from Iowa. The first man graduated from Georgia. So why did the person take the Iowa grad? People, right out of college, are like a family. The way this family is defined is by what college you went to. If you went to a local college, or the same college of the employer, the employer will give you a chance, but because the employer doesn't know much about Georgia and that area, he's sort of scared to hire him. He doesn't know what he's like. Now later in life, when you reach your 30's, and on, it won't matter that much; what they'd base it on is your resume. If you went to a private school, however, it doesn't matter where you apply for a job. This is because private schools are more expensive and for the most part, more prestigious. Private schools are accepted most anywhere. The only reason for this post is because if you're interested in a state school that is not around here, and once you're out of college, you want to get a job in Chicago, this is just a heads up. It sort of came as a blow to me because during the summer, I visited USF, UCF, U of Tampa, and many other east coast schools and when I found out that if I went to USF, I would be at a disadvantage when I came back to Chicago, even though I would get a terrific education there. So when you're considering colleges, think about this: If I go here, would I be happy living in this state/area for the rest of my life?

No comments: