Monday, October 20, 2008

It's Your Own Damn Fault!

In class, we discussed weather or not people should have rights to wear whatever shirt they desire, regardless of whatever obscenity may be on that shirt. I took the side that there should be a right because it is your own fault if you look like a moron. Honestly, I don't care if someone was walking down the street with an "I believe in Pres. Bush" shirt. I would just keep walking and think "Boy that guy is just wrong," but that would be it. I wouldn't attack the guy or anything. However, someone else in my group thought that there should be a law. The problem with a law is that how do you define what is obscene and what is not? You see, this is just a sense of opinion. Someone walking down a street in Chicago wearing that "I believe in Pres. Bush" shirt would be very provocative and nearly obscene. Someone walking down a street in a deeply conservative state wearing a "Vote for Gore" shirt would probably bring up the same feelings. It's all about what you believe in. If there was a law against this, it would be a tricky law. What I find obscene, others won't and because of our different opinions, beliefs, and biases, and therefore, we can't all agree. However, if someone was walking down a street and their shirt said "I'll Kill You In Your Sleep," or something along those lines, I believe that those shirts should be banned. I know I may have just sounded like a hypocrite, but I do believe at a certain point, there should be a boundary.

2 comments:

LukeHG said...

I completely agree with you that there should be a boundry. I think all shirts that are offensive to most people should be banned. But shirts that support a political view or a religion should not be banned.

Adam said...

How can we catagorize all things that are offensive? What is offensive to someone may not be to someone else.